I'm a wife and mother living in Houston, TX. I have three children, Soli, Alex and Sara. I work full-time and my husband, Marty, stays at home with our children and goes to school at night. Please, don't ever call him "Mr. Mom".

Saturday, September 18, 2010

SELECT * FROM TexasHighwayPatrol WHERE CommonSense IS NOT NULL

Thursday night on my way home from my SQL class I was pulled over for failure to signal my intent to turn... in a right-turn only lane. Only got a warning. I actually signaled to turn into the lane, as I always do, but let it drop while I was there. I figured no one needs to know I'm turning right, as it's a given. There wasn't anywhere else for me to go. He insisted that there is nothing that says I don't have to signal there, and he's right. No where in Texas Department of Public Safety codes does is say you don't have to signal your intent to turn in a turn-only lane. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't say to not drive down the highway completely in reverse, or that your passengers aren't allowed to play two rounds of tennis in the backseat. Those are involving common sense. Anyone with that (actually very uncommon) attribute should know instinctively that those are a bad idea. Just like they should know that if they are in a right-turn only lane, all of the people ahead of them are going to be going right. They don't need a signal to tell them this. The worse thing about me getting pulled over that night? Directly after making the turn at that spot there is a traffic light. Whilst I and the squad car were driving up to the light, the car in front of me ran the red light. I feel very protected as a member of the community knowing that our police force is making those difficult judgement calls as to the most dangerous traffic infractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment