I'm a wife and mother living in Houston, TX. I have three children, Soli, Alex and Sara. I work full-time and my husband, Marty, stays at home with our children and goes to school at night. Please, don't ever call him "Mr. Mom".

Monday, March 12, 2007

(Non)Technical Support

So, I realized that a site I need to access for school is no longer quite accessible from my new fancy Linux machine. They have plugins that don't install, since they are only for Windows and Mac. I submitted the following via their support form (edited for relevance and privacy):

TYPE OF HELP REQUEST: Plugin issues

Product: SMS

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION: Browser/Version: Firefox

OS: Other

Description of problem: I am no longer able to utilize this website from home, as I no longer have a Microsoft Operating System. I now use Linux (Ubuntu). Is there no way I can get a supported plugin (Firefox)?

I received the following back from them (edited to protect the lame):

Dear (my name),

Thank you for contacting (their name).

We are sorry for the inconvenience that you are experiencing in accessing the website.

After a review of the information provided, we recommended the following

To use our websites, your computer should have one of the 2 following Internet browsers:

INTERNET EXPLORER
Version 4.0 or greater

NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR
Version 4.0 or greater, except versions 6.0 to 7.0

Many websites require that your browser be set to enable cookies. This browser setting is usually turned on by default.

To clear your browser's cookies, click your browser:

Mozilla Firefox 2

1. Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Options" then "Advanced". (top right)
3. Click the "Network" tab.
4. Under the "Cache" heading, click the "Clear Now" button.
5. Click "OK" to exit.

Mozilla Firefox 1.x

1. Open Mozilla Firefox on the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Options" then the "Privacy" icon.
3. Click "Clear" across from the Cache option.
4. Click "OK" to exit.

To clear your browser's cookies, click your browser:

Mozilla Firefox 2.x

1. In Mozilla Firefox select "Tools" from the file menu.
2. Select "Options".
3. Under the "Private Data" heading, click the "Clear Now button".
4. Click "OK" to exit.

Mozilla Firefox 1.x

1. In Mozilla Firefox select "Tools" from the file menu.
2. Select "Options".
3. Click the "Privacy" icon in the top panel.
4. Click the "Cookies" tab.
5. Check the "Clear Cookies Now" button.
6. Click "OK" to save and close.

If you are using a PC, you may need to clear out your temporary Internet files. Having too many temporary files can block information from being viewed properly.

TO CLEAR OUT YOUR TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES
IN INTERNET EXPLORER

1. Click on Tools, then Internet Options
2. In the Internet Options, click Delete Files
3. Click OK

Note: If you are using Internet Explorer, you may also want to clear your internet history.

1. From the Tools menu on your Internet Explorer browser, click on "Internet Options".
2. From Internet Options click on the "Clear History" button.

IN NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR

1. Click on Edit, then Preferences
2. Click the plus sign next to the Advanced category
3. Click Cache
4. Click Clear Memory Cache
5. Click OK in the message box that appears
6. Click Clear Disk Cache
7. Click OK in the message box that appears
8. Click OK in the Preferences dialog box

Should you have additional questions relating to this issue, feel free to reply to this message so that we may assist you further.

So, I replied back with:

Lovely form e-mail. I especially like how it states "After a review of the information provided, we recommended the following" when it is plainly obvious that no human being (at least of any technical knowledge at all) reviewed my e-mail. The issue isn't with cookies or any such nonsense, it plainly lies in the fact that I'm using a Linux OS, rather than Microsoft or Apple (Macintosh). My original question was "is there any way I can download this software for Linux" and my answer is obviously a resounding "No".

I'll keep you posted on whether they respond back to that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment